Interview with Dornbracht | In our interview serie we ask designer and manufacturer to answer the same 6 questions about their company, their idea about design and sustainability and what is important for them.
Following the answers from Simon Kremer, Project Sales Manager at Dornbracht and Alape.
The family-run company, now in its third generation, was founded in 1950 and has been managed by brothers Andreas and Matthias Dornbracht since the early 1990s. The Dornbracht Group has a worldwide workforce of more than 1000 employees.
Dornbracht is one of the few companies in the sanitation industry where production is entirely ‘Made in Germany’. 90 % of Dornbracht’s suppliers are from Germany, and over 70 % of them from the Southern Westphalia region. Dornbracht sustains the highest standards, delivering manufacturing quality at the highest level with the company paying particular attention to its innovation in production.
What is sustainable about your products?
- Clear Design Principles – Interaction of Design and Functionality
- Using premium recyclable raw materials with focus on a long live cycle.
- In this context: Dispensation of cheap parts, components etc., eg. ABS-plastics.
- Quality controls permanently after each step of added value assure very high quality standards
- Using lead-free materials for all faucets according to Proposition A (USA – one of the strictest legislations for drinking water in the world) and UBA-positive list of the German Federal Environment Agency (Deutsches Umweltbundesamt). Marked lower deviation of the legal requirements.
- Our products consists of materials which are 100% recyclable; natural materials like steel or brass, which will obtained out of the material circulation and recycle to it.
- Sanding dusts are sucked off and directed to recycling by our air filter system which we use in the area of surface treatment (step in production process).
- We have reached a reduction in water consumption of 70% by our own-developed electroplating-technology in the surface finishing (step in production process).
- Made in Germany – all products of the Dornbracht portfolio are manufactured in our factory in Iserlohn. Even ca. 70% of our suppliers are located with their production facilities within a radius of 80 km to our factory.
- The flow rates of our faucets base on the optimized relation between water-saving consumption as well as perfect function and user comfort.
- Dornbracht deceeds the regulatory limits for wastewater by 50% since 2007.
- If there is a damage (e.g. scratches) at single parts, it will suffice to change only the damaged part because the faucets are not made out of one piece.
- Delivery-warranty for spare parts, at least 10 years beyond lifecycle of the particular faucet series.
- (especially Transforming Water-solutions) Usability about the pure washing/body care. Added value like wellness affusions, shower choreographies, supplement to cosmetic-/massage treatments, contribution to personal health care strategy.
- (especially Smart Water) Functioning connectivitiy in Smart House-systems
- Creation of relevance beyond the pure funcitonality of the products.
Which are the 3 most suitable adjectives to describe this and why?
progressive, our products are designed with a forward-looking attitude which is open to new ideas. Furthermore we involve already today the presumable needs of tomorrow into our development processes.
personal, every product has his own personality, which makes it unique and distinctive.
precise, relating to the design as well to every single step in the production process (e.g. surface treatment) and the orientation to customer needs.
What is the secret to your success?
Quality, quality and quality again in all relations as well as the continuous advance of our own innovative power.
What is it you like about InteriorPark.?
- Combination of scientific with the economic relevance of sustainability
- Focus on real sustainability, not only as a marketing term
- Real expertise in sustainability
- Valuable recommendation portfolio
What is good design?
Our understanding is that good design follows 5 principles and combines aesthetic with function.
- Proportion – balanced, harmonic, exact
- Precision – clear lines, precise edges, excellent processing
- Progressivity – Constantly gauging of the trends in architecture and interior design
- Personality – striking and present design
- Performance – The performance and the added value which the design provides
What are the greatest challenges for design in future?
- Uniqueness – to avoid randomness
- Creation of something which is really innovative
- Increasing complexity of coherences (e.g. desgin / function)
- Innovations will be took over by new innovations in fast increasing pace
- Functionality, high-quality with timeless aesthetic – Interview with DLW Flooring
- Good Design definitely takes care of our surroundings and environment – Interview with fivetimesone
- Customized floorboards emphasize architecture – Interview with pur natur
- Good design is quality of life! – Interview with ANKI
- Good design is consistent, balanced – Interview with FINDEISEN
- Good design surprises sustainably – Interview with MONKA